Rules* for the Behavior of All Entering These Doors
Sophie of Anhalt-Zerbst, Catherine II
Continue reading “Rules for all Entering”
- Leave all ranks outside, likewise hats, and particularly swords.
- Orders of precedence and haughtiness, or anything however similar, must be left at the door.
- Be merry, but neither damage nor break anything, nor gnaw on anything.
- Be seated, stand, walk, as you see fit, regardless of others.
- Speak with moderation and not too loudly, that those present not have an earache or headache.
- Argue without anger or passion.
- Do not sigh or yawn, and do not bore or fatigue anyone.
- Others should join in any innocent fun that someone thinks up.
- Eat well, but drink with moderation, that each can always find his legs upon going out the door.
- Disputes shall not be taken outside the izba† and what goes in one ear should go out the other before one steps through the doors.